San Gimignano is a small town in Tuscany, 56 kmn south of Firernze, its fortification dates back to 998. The 14 towers proudly raised above its buildings retain the appearance of a Tuscan feudal town, controlled by rival factions always ready for conflict. Recognized in the UNESCO heritage since 1990, the city shows a significant moment in history that can not be documented in cities like Florence, Siena, Bologna, despite their extraordinary monuments.
San Gimignano is an exceptional testimony of medieval civilization as it contains, within a limited area, all the typical structures of urban life of the time: squares and streets, houses and palaces, wells and sources. The frescoes by Memmo di Filippuccio, commissioned by the City in 1303 to decorate the rooms of the Podestà in the Palazzo del Popolo, are among the most frequently used documents to illustrate, in the details of the domestic space, the daily life of the fourteenth century. the Historic Center of San Gimignano preserves a series of masterpieces of Italian art of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries in their original architectural context. In the Colleggiata, in particular, there are the fresco with the Last Judgment by Taddeo di Bartolo (1393), the Martyrdom of San Sebastiano di Benozzo Gozzoli (1465) and above all the magnificent frescoes by Domenico Ghirlandaio (the Santa Fina cycle, 1475) ), while the Annunciation in the Baptistery (1482). Other works of exceptional value are the large frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli depicting San Sebastiano and Sant'Agostino.
Address: Via Galliano, 36 Riccione (RN)