The archaeological area of Su Nuraxi was discovered and brought to light by the archaeologist Giovanni Lilliu during the '40s and' 50s and for its uniqueness has become part of the UNESCO World Heritage in 1997.
The Nuragic civilization develops in Sardinia along a chronological arc of about 1000 years (1500-500 BC) giving life to a very complex and articulated social structure, characterized by communities probably divided into social classes to which the families or clan belonged. It takes its name from the most characteristic monument of the period: "the nuraghe", a word that means "pile of stones" and "cavity", which indicates a type of military architecture with turreted walls. So far, over 7000 nuraghes (including single towers and complex nuraghe) have been surveyed throughout the island, and about thirty in the territory of Barumini. Su Nuraxi is the most representative of the complex nuraghe, which consists of more than one tower. Their construction in Sardinia occurs mainly between the Middle Bronze and the Late Bronze with a strictly military function; very similar to the medieval castles, despite being older than almost 3000 years, they served, in fact, to defend the surrounding territory. Later they will be readjusted and reused until the Iron Age, and sometimes they will be used by the populations that will take over the Nuragic one.
Address: Via Galliano, 36 Riccione (RN)